Saturday, January 9, 2010

Alright


I admit it. I am now in holiday mode. After that trip to Cocolai's house, everything is just icing on the cake. Yesterday we headed to San Juan and visited an artisan shop. It's run by the Cruz family and Jose Cruz is also a history teacher at a local private school.

He's opinionated, feisty, well spoken, angry, thoughtful. It was my second time last night seeking him out for an interview, but it was worth it. He was a little hesitant and nervous at first, but eventually started to loosen up. Since he was worried about getting his work for the shop done, I promised him I would only take up ten minutes of his time. However, once we got rolling along, he wanted to say more, and he kept the interview going for another 20 minutes. All in all great insights on Puerto Rican culture, people, religion, life. This is the guy everyone wants their kids to learn from. I only hope the parents at his school appreciate him (Since like most teachers, his salary probably doesn't reflect the importance of his role)

Old San Juan has little nooks and cranies everywhere that are new and different every time you walk them. It's like there is never enough time to see it all. It has to be one of my top favorite places I've ever had the opportunity to visit. There is also a Calle de la Luna with a little crescent moon symbol underneath the sign. I think I need a picture.

Went to Rio Piedras today and saw the University. Great campus, from outside the gate at least. They are still on break so I couldn't get in to walk around. I did buy a children's book though in Spanish, about the moon, called Lagrimas de la Luna. I saw it in a book store by campus and something compelled me to buy it. I think the moon is following me on this crazy adventure of mine, for luck.

Ciao luna!

No comments:

Post a Comment